Saturday 30 July 2011

Train Ride

The train moves like a diving bell

through a sea of night.

Cities luminous shoals of distant fish,

until all fades in the depths,


the world closes in,

the window shows only my reflected face

orange under neon light.


The train sways suddenly

moves the centre of myself,

away from myself,

unchained to rails or seat

I’m thrown back into remembering


that last hour of the journey home,

when eyelids eggshell brittle with tiredness

closed against harsh amber light.


The carriage a decompression chamber

coming slowly up from the depths of us,

but never slowly enough,


so that when I arrived I still had the bends.

The pressure of your absence

bubbling in my ears and veins.


Now every train ride sounds

the Morse code of our embryonic

love within the rail’s clack.

No comments:

Post a Comment